May 2020 President’s Message
- Virtual Cars & Coffee – this could be an event where the cars are Hot Wheels and diecast models…or the real thing, but the idea is centered on the social aspects of coming together to talk about our cars.
- Virtual Concours – this idea was centered primarily around diecast models and other “toys” that match or complement the real Porsches members own along the same lines as the C&C idea with a creative twist. One thing mentioned was the opportunity for a PCA Juniors tie-in for folks that have kids that are also trapped at home, eagerly looking for something to do. This could be a way to connect to a demographic with which we seldom get to interface during typical club events.
- Virtual Museum Tours – “The Vault” (Hagerty) was mentioned specifically, but I’m sure there are several others. I think even the Porsche Museum is doing something online currently.
- Sim Racing – This can be fun for drivers or spectators. The PCA Sim Racing program has grown significantly in recent months, but there is always room for more; having an growing number of drivers from regions across the U.S. begins to increase the likelihood of folks knowing someone participating, thus giving them someone for whom to cheer.
- Tours – by virtualizing the morning briefing, moving to e-waivers (which are being worked on by PCA Insurance Chair and others w/ insurance companies), and making adjustments to post-tour meal gathering expectations, we should be able to enjoy many of the same types of driving tours that have become synonymous with PCA club life.
- Gimmick Rallies, Photo Rallies, and Scavenger Hunts – these involve puzzles, photo hunts, or other creative ways to have fun and socialize while enjoying our Porsches. Many of these can be coupled with follow-up web conferencing gatherings to share the experience. I believe that our fearless club Vice President is actively putting together some ideas for a Redwood Gimmick Rally, so if you have experience or ideas on this type of event, I’m sure he’d appreciate your input.
I have been on the Redwood Region board since 2015, serving as Secretary (2015-2016), Vice President (2017-2018), President (2019-2020), and Sitting Past President (2021-2022). This club and the people in it have helped to add tremendous joy to my life. Serving on the board and volunteering time has been my way of trying to give some of that joy back.
Hi Tec Automotive
San Rafael, CA
Mill Valley, CA
Santa Rosa, CA
Auto Sport Detailing
Santa Rosa, CA
Santa Rosa Auto Body
Santa Rosa, CA
Charities Supported by Redwood Region
Join Us for a Board Meeting!
Meetings of the Redwood Region Board occur on the last Tuesday of every month from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at
(NOTE: this is a location change as of August 2022).
Any PCA member is welcome. You are responsible for buying your own drinks, but dinner is on the club!